Sketchbooks are one of the essential materials for artists. I’m sure that most of
Digital Media students have their own sketchbook even though their main medium is a PC
using applications such as Photoshop, Aftereffects, Maya and so on. I believe that a
sketchbook has the ability to reflect its owners and their creativity. Here are a handful of students that are an excellent representation of the continued use of a sketchbook.

Elaine 

Q1. How long do you spend on sketching each week?

I’d say about 5-7 hours but it’s not enough. I’m trying to draw faster without caring so
much about details, to get better sketch “mileage”, and learn to take in information faster.

Q2. What is your favorite motif? 

I’m not entirely sure. I’m trying out new things, so I try to avoid my comfort zone, which
I guess I would say are faceless characters (hidden faces/helmets/mechs).

Q3. Why are you sketching?

To master the fundamentals. I hate focusing so much on fixing the basics like anatomy
and perspective when I just want to move on to my idea. I also use my sketchbook as a sort of diary. I would sketch something I see in a moment of the day, and pair it with a short description of what’s happening around me or I would scribble in sketches relative to how I feel by the end of the day.

Q4. Who is your favorite artist and why?

Ashley Wood’s raw feel of paint is always awesome to me because it looks so effortless.
I remember someone asking him if he had any progressive pictures of his work, and he
replied with something like “I just push paint around until it feels right.” But Moonassi is
also great. I love his clean simplicity to portray his interesting ideas.


Della

Q1. How long do you spend on sketching each week?

About 5-7 hours.

Q2. What is your favorite motif? 

I like fantasy characters and trying to tell a funny story with each sketch.

Q3. Why are you sketching?

To get better at drawing characters and to practice. My goal is to finish my sketchbook
always!

Q4. Who is your favorite artist and why?

I look at Alexandre Diboine (Zeding) for his odd characters as well as Guillaume
Singelin for his stylized line work. I like how stylized they approach their characters.


Katy

Q1. How long do you spend on sketching each week?

Around 10-14 hours. I’m now trying to finish a sketchbook every 2-3 weeks.

Q2. What is your favorite motif? 

I like really feminine people, and dramatic lighting. Drawings that show atmosphere
make me really happy. I also really like drawing my friends. It’s really cheesy but my
friends are really important to me, and I like to show that in my sketchbooks.

Q3. Why are you sketching?

Sketching is a way for me to enjoy what I like to do. Sometimes it’s a way to pass time in
a class, and other times it’s to get out ideas for my homework. Sometimes I even
procrastinate on schoolwork by drawing in my sketchbook. I’m currently trying to do
more studies so I can visually understand things I didn’t before.

Q4. Who is your favorite artist and why?

I would say Dice Tsutsumi is one of my favorite artists, because he can capture
atmosphere and lighting so well without rendering everything in extreme detail. There’s
something that feels really natural about the colors in his work, which makes me feel
really comfortable.


Manami

Q1. How long do you spend on sketching each week?

I’m not a sketching person. I mean, I prefer directly drawing and painting with Photoshop.
I can’t count how much I spend my time with Photoshop. But at least, I spend more than
3 hours with my sketchbook because it is a requirement for a class.

Q2. What is your favorite motif? 

Honestly, I like drawing video game or manga characters such as Dante (Devil May Cry),
rather than drawing my own world.  I also like military, gasmasks, guns and mechs form
WWII and Sci-Fi. They are definitely my comfort zones.

Q3. Why are you sketching?

I use sketchbooks for exercise and memories that I want to remain in my head. I screw up
a lot of the time. The line quality is always dead. So, I usually don’t want to show my
sketchbook. I really appreciate people who make their sketchbooks like art books.

Q4. Who is your favorite artist and why?

Just as a sketching person, I love Kim Jung Gi. If you don’t know about him,
you must check him out right now! He is awesome. I can’t find the right words to praise
his work.


Mohammad

Q1. How long do you spend on sketching each week?

Varies week to week depending on what work I have to do. If I’m starting on a new
project or idea, I’ll spend most of my time sketching anywhere from 5 to 10 hours. If I’m
well into a project, I may get in as little as 3 hours sketching because most of the focus
will go into the project.
Q2. What is your favorite motif? 

Sketchbooks are great to jot down quick ideas whether they’re bad or good. I’ll scribble
quick sketches or write words. It’s also great for taking visual notes on things around me
such as the body language of people.

Q3. Why are you sketching?

I use the sketchbook to exercise my weaknesses. This semester I wanted to work on ideas
and design so my book is filled with a lot of idea based drawings. Previous semesters it
was filled with lots of anatomy diagrams, people drawings in public, color sketches
and the like. It changes based on what I want to improve at.

Q4. Who is your favorite artist and why?

There are too many to name but John Singer Sargent for his mastery of the portrait and
Alexander McQueen for his boldness.

Sarah

Q1. How long do you spend on sketching each week?

It depends really. I’d have to say somewhere along the lines of 5 hours or more.
Nowadays, it’s around 3 hours or less due to schoolwork. Who would have thought I’d
sketch so little at art school?

Q2. What is your favorite motif? 

I have a fascination with drawing no faces, anything covered up to the extreme. The
human face doesn’t particularly interest me unless it’s not visible, you know? Mummies
especially, thanks to the Invisible Man. I love to over-pile on detail for almost every
drawing I do, lots of chaotic detailing calms me, simplifying things stresses me the
hell out. I’m also a real history and culture geek; anything that involves me digging
through hours and hours of history and new culture to draw makes me real excited.

Q3. Why are you sketching?

To get better obviously. It’s also the only way to really get my ideas down, figure out
what I’m good at, what I’m bad at, and really learn a lot about myself. I’d like to think a
sketchbook is here for personal growth. It doesn’t matter whether or not you mess up or
draw well; sketchbooks are there for trial and error. It’s real relaxing.

Q4. Who is your favorite artist and why?

I have a lot, but Mike Mignola was one of my favorites growing up. His great sense of
lighting and geometric shapes when it comes to character and environment designs is
ingenious.  It’s also extremely recognizable; you’ll know it’s Mignola’s stuff when you
see it. Trust me. And I love specific styles that really stand out. Also who doesn’t love good
old Hellboy?

-Manami-

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on O ZINE! It may appear soon.

Translate